Sunday, 12 February 2012

Know that way when you just get driven to do something?

Well, that's what this blog is.

I've not done this in ages! It's not been a conscious effort to ignore you dear blog, but when did I last post? April 20th 2011 or something like that? That was a while agoo. What's happened in that time?

  1. I turned 22. Woop. Not much fanfare!
  2. I was on the dole a whole lot.
  3. I worked over the summer.
  4. I went on holiday with the family afterwards.
  5. I wrote a one man play shortly before;
  6. FINALLY GETTING A JOB.
  7. Worked hard at said job, didn't feel much in the way of appreciation until about last week.
  8. My Gran went into hospital at the end of September and is still there now. Sad times.
  9. I read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, about to start Mockingjay.
  10. Christmas came and went again. I hate working in retail for that.
What ones should I deal with? 5? I thought you might say that!

So I decided to write something. I've always had the urge and I've probably even talked about it
on here. In fact, did I not post a sample here? I did.

I wrote it shortly before visiting the annual Edinburgh Fringe, which, if you don't know, is a big stromache of culture, theatre, art, music, comedy etc. Effectively, amazingness personified over 3 weeks. I was seeing one of my best mates in his play about a couple of pals who were into boxing, but had an attraction to one another, which, of course, what with being boxing, a brusque, manly sport, it wasn't something that was discussed with tremendous ease. Very intense, very bold. I enjoyed! Sitting in that little, amazing theatre, I decided there and then that I wanted to be there the following year. I met up with a friend to see the show and afterwards, we decided to get a bottle of wine and go to her boyfriends flat, get merry and then go watch his improv, which we did (improv is incredible while wasted, FYI) and proceeded to get even merrier and the atmosphere was ELECTRIC. Surrounded by likeminded people, having a laugh over nothing with complete strangers, the rain, the drink, the company; EVERYTHING was perfect.

The next day, while nursing a hangover from hell, I knew this was where I wanted to be next year. I decided that I would be.

The following day (my mum's birthday) I had a job interview for a shop the next town over from me and didn't think very much about it at all. After all, it was a job interview. Not the first one I'd had while unemployed. But wouldn't you know it, I got the job and started working full time. My ambitions were on hold, for now. Diluted disappointment. (I had the job, a steady flow of money, but not what I wanted to be doing.)

What's the play even about, I hear you ask?

WELL. As I mentioned, I wrote it before I got the job, so I was quite despondent by this point and not really expecting any miracles, but I had this nagging, gnawing sense that I'd have to take whatever was coming my way because I didn't have any choice in the matter. I didn't even know what my super-ambition was. That's what my play would be about. A young man who's doing something because he has to, but at the same time, doesn't fully know what he hopes to achieve. Effectively, I wrote a version of myself. I won't give too much away about it, come and see for yourself between the 3rd and 14th of August at 4:50pm at Cafe Renroc, Edinburgh. Admission's free.

What made me decide to look at it again? I may not be the only person in the world to feel like this, but I don't get the satisfaction I'd like from my job. I'm firmly doing it because I have no other option and I'm not stupid or foolhardy enough to quit because I can, so I'll stay. It made me think of Cole (my one man in the one man play) again and I suddenly realised that, with a bit of a tweak (my plan for this week), this could be brilliant, because BOOM. Art had imitated life completely by accident.

Everything else at the moment is okay....can't complain. I've got the week off of work this week and want to make the most of it, but how?! It's times like this where I have all the time in the world that I'd love someone to share it with. Oh well.

Peace out folks!
Pxx

PS: The play's called "Sequins and Disillusions: The Life of a Prematurely Desolate Boy".

No comments:

Post a Comment